I started 2013 waiting to hear back from publishers about DARK DAYS. I’m starting this year reading the pass pages before it goes to print. And now we’re in my debut year, which I’m beyond excited about!
- The offer came through in February. I remember being at work and getting home to find my agent had been trying desperately to get hold of me with the news. I remember ringing my family after I’d spoken to her, and running downstairs to find someone, anyone, to tell!
- After that, I worked on it a little myself before meeting my first deadline.
- Once it was sent, I got back to another YA novel I’d been working on (which I finished in August).
- In April, I set up Author Allsorts with Emma Pass, which now has 48 wonderful UK-based authors and illustrators blogging there on a regular basis.
- In May, I received an offer on my first picture book, written under the name Kate Louise and illustrated by Bethany Straker. PIERRE THE FRENCH BULLDOG RECYCLES will be published in 2015.
- In October, I received an offer on my second picture book, also written under the name Kate Louise, and illustrated by Laura Matine. THE UPSIDE-DOWN FISH will be published in Fall 2014.
- In October, I also saw the cover for DARK DAYS, which I LOVE and can’t wait to share (hopefully soon!).
2013 was a lot of fun and filled with exciting news and projects. I’ve made some great friends along the way and met lots of lovely people. I’ve no idea what 2014 will bring, but I can’t wait to find out. And I can’t wait for DARK DAYS to be released into the world!
The future world has been divided into sectors–each the same as the other. Surrounded by thick steel fences, there is no way in and no way out. Yet a cyborg army penetrates each sector, picking off its citizens one by one, until no one is left. Behind the sectors’ thick walls, the citizens wait to die. Few will be chosen to survive what’s coming; the rest will be left behind to suffer. A new world has been created, and its rulers are incredibly selective on who will become a citizen. They want only those with important roles in society to help create a more perfect future.
Sixteen-year-old Sia lives in one of the sectors as part of a family that is far too ordinary to be picked to live. According to the digital clock that towers high above her sector, she has only fifteen days to live. Sia has seen the reports and knows a horrific death is in store for her, but she is determined to make the most of her final days. Sia refuses to mourn her short life, instead promising herself that she’ll stay strong, despite being suffocated by her depressed mother and her frightened best friend. Just when Sia feels more alone than ever, she meets Mace, a mysterious boy. There is something that draws Sia to him, despite his dangerousness, and together, they join a group of rebels and embark on an epic journey to destroy the new world and its machines, and to put an end to the slaughter of innocent people.
Hardcover (ISBN: 9781628735949)
Expected publication: 3rd June 2014 by Skyhorse/Sky Pony Press (World)
Add to Goodreads
Pre-order from The Book Depository|Amazon UK|Amazon US|Barnes and Noble|IndieBound